Thursday, December 28, 2006

Words of Wisdom?

At work, I frequently get asked these two questions (in this order) by my patients:

1. Question asked: "Do you have kids?" My answer: "Nope."
2. Question asked: "Are you married?" My answer: "Nope, someday."

Well, I was asked these two questions again by a patient I had on Tuesday night. My answers were the same as they always are. However, the reply I received back from this patient was quite different than before. When I told her I wasn't married, she just about fell off of her bed in shock. Her reply to my answer of "No, I'm not married," was "Oh my gosh, you are so cute." She continued to ask how old I am and I said that I'm almost 25. She then said "Don't worry, there's still hope." Now I know she meant this in the nicest way possible, to encourage me, etc. But holy smokes, I'm only in my mid 20's, not 70!! She told me that she was almost 40 when she met her husband and it was well worth the wait. She also offered this piece of advice: "Don't go to bars to find a guy, they're all jerks, all they'll do is break your heart." All I could do was giggle in between the awkardness of this topic. It was interesting and just one of the many fascinating conversations that pop up at work.

1 comment:

Summer said...

okay...so I left you a very cool comment...and then realized that I was going to sign it from Katie's account, so I went to switch over...and it deleted what I wrote! How dare it! So here I am back at square one but instead...I'm going to summarize my thoughts....We are only in our 20's.....I've received the comments, questions, and then crazy advice, but ultimatly....God is in control and that's good enough for me